Shadowfever ★★★★



Shadowfever (Fever, #5) - Karen Marie Moning ★★★★ 594 pages

Book four of the Fever series ends with a huge a cliffhanger. The walls between the Fae and human worlds have come crashing down, Fae are loose in the streets killing humans, her parents were being ransomed and MacKayla has found herself thrust into a realm with little to no hope of escaping. While being rescued something happens that "shattered her world. " Something extreme, seeing the state her world is currently in. Now, in book five, Mac must deal with what she's done. She has to decide to allow herself to be broken, or to get up and fight to right her world in her most epic battle so far. Between prophecies from the past, struggling to find out who or what she is, and struggling with the lose of those she loved most, Mac has to figure out who to trust, or if she can even trust herself.

Okay, so the summary is vague at best. It's that way for a reason. Giving anything away will spoil this book for anyone looking to read it. (Be wary of reading reviews on this one. Part of the fun is that you really have no clue what's going on. Don't let someone spoil it for you.) I will say that you find Moning puts you out of your misery and lets you know who the beast is early on. Mac changes in the beginning of this book. She hardens and FINALLY quits whining. As the story progresses she softens a bit and her personality becomes more balanced.

After having read the other books, most people had a ton of predictions coming into this new one. Some of the questions we had were fairly obvious and easy to answer, but there were several things that I don't think anyone saw coming. As the events play out, predictions change frequently. Every time you think you've figured something out you'll be confronted with a contradictory fact that destroys your hypothesis. While everything in the book unfolds quickly, Moning paces the discoveries so that your questions get answered throughout the course of the book, but she saves the biggest ones for the end: Who killed Alina? Who or what is Mac? Why is she able to feel the book and why is it playing with her? Who set all these events rolling? Where have the Unseelie King and the Seelie Queen been since the Fae have begun to take over the human world? Will Mac pick a man?

This series was a surprise for me. After reading the first book I couldn't understand why everyone was in love with the series. Each book got better. It's not the best written series out there, but there's something about the epic way in which the world is being destroyed and the cliffhangers that keep you reading even when you're not sure if you should. I'm glad I stuck with the stories against my better judgement. The last three books in the series have been fun reads. Plus, male chauvinistic, conceited Barrons and V'laine are worth taking the time to read about. =)

0 comments:

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I have a BA in Humanities with a double major in History and Art History and I'm currently getting my Masters of Education. I'm recently married and I'm so glad to be done with all of the planning. Some days I feel like my pets run my life, but then so does work at times.

Purchase Books Here

What I'm Reading:

Heather Tisdale's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Followers