Ghostland ★★★1/2



Ghostland (Ghostland World, #1) - Jory Strong ★★★1/2 341 pgs

In a post-apocalyptic world, humans are terrified of those with special abilities. After members of the upper-class begin to turn up murdered in black-magic rituals, Aisling is forced from her home to Oakland where she must travel into the Ghostland and attempt to find the most recent missing soul. The fact that the trip didn't kill her like others before her has marked her. Different factions attempt to use her or kill her.
On top of that, she summoned a powerful being to help her save the life of the missing girl. Zurael is furious at being summoned and gains permission to travel into Aisling's world to kill her. But first, he must find an ancient tablet held by one of Aisling's enemies. He can't kill her immediately because he must use her as bait to draw forth her enemies. Getting to know Aisling might just be Zurael's undoing.
I really liked the plot in this books. It was different and entertaining. My only problem is that it's erotica and that's not a genre a like to get into. I didn't know it was erotica when I decided to read it (thought it was YA...eek), but I was told about it prior to picking it up. So, I've judged it based solely on the story, and left my opinions of the graphic scenes out since I'm the last person to judge what makes an good book in that genre. Lets just say I was shocked at some of the descriptive phrases used. TMI.
I would have given it 4 stars, but I was a little confused on the issue of Aisling's father. I feel like I needed another sentence or two before she discovers who he is just because I felt like something was missing from all the prior pieces. Upon reflecting, it all made sense, but while in the story I was confused for a second. Besides that tiny issue, I loved the world (to read about, not live in) that she creates. I liked the ferret as well. I'm curious to see if he'll be back in the next story in another form, with another person. I doubt it, but I'm unclear as to why I doubt it.

0 comments:

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I have a BA in Humanities with a double major in History and Art History and I'm currently getting my Masters of Education. I'm recently married and I'm so glad to be done with all of the planning. Some days I feel like my pets run my life, but then so does work at times.

Purchase Books Here

What I'm Reading:

Heather Tisdale's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Followers