Shade ★★★★


Shade (Shade, #1) - Jeri Smith-Ready ★★★★ 309 pgs

Aura has had an amazing day. It's her boyfriend birthday. Logan and his brother just played a wonderful gig and got an offer from a record company. Now, she's going to give him the birthday present he's always wanted; she's going to spend the night with him. There's only one problem - he's partied a little too hard. He leaves her for a few minutes in an attempt to sober himself up. Next thing she knows there's shouting in the hall. She runs out into the hall to find out what's happened, only to see Logan's ghost. She can still hear him and spend time with him, but she has to decide if she can actually have a life with him. Just because he's still around doesn't mean that things are the same. Aura has to learn to move on, while trying to convince him to do the same.

This story was very different than a lot of the YA books that I've been reading. There are similar plot lines, but the world is different. Aura lives in a world that has shifted. Every child born after the shift can see ghosts. Kids scream at things their parents can't see. Aura is slightly different than the rest of the post-shift kids. She was the very first child to be born after the shift. While she doesn't know why this is important, she does know to keep the fact a secret from almost everyone.

The story itself was very emotional. I cried twice. I don't know if it was necessarily because of the writing, or I just fear losing someone I care about. There are multiple storyline's throughout the book, but the most important one to me had to deal with coping with death. How do you move on? Where do you place the blame? Should blame even be placed when a death was accidental? How do you then move on to future relationships?

One of the issues that got to me when reading the story was the reaction of the the other kids. A lot of them were cruel and said stupid things. Gossip is painful and it does nothing to help a situation. I don't understand how we as a society can't put aside differences to support someone when they really need it.

I'm looking forward to figuring out what will happen next. She's set the book up so that people will be interested to continue. Aura has decided that she's going to try and find out what caused the shift. She feels like her mother might have played a roll, or at least understood, in what caused the shift. She also meets Zack, the very last child born before the shift. Once she has finally coped with her emotions, she's hoping that maybe one day she'll find a way to help the ghosts, or those that turn into Shades and fade into the darkness.

0 comments:

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I have a BA in Humanities with a double major in History and Art History and I'm currently getting my Masters of Education. I'm recently married and I'm so glad to be done with all of the planning. Some days I feel like my pets run my life, but then so does work at times.

Purchase Books Here

What I'm Reading:

Heather Tisdale's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Followers